I read a sports article today (I know… I’m surprised too) that included the writers’ “pantheons” of dining. I’ve never even compiled a list like this on my own, but now’s as good a time as any.
I’m a huge fan of food, so I think I can consider myself a bit of an authority on the subject. I will account for varying tastes, so make your counterarguments clear and concise. Feel free to add your own lists in the comments. Here they are in no particular order…
- Wings: Morty’s in Waterloo, ON I spent a few years deeply immersed in ‘wing culture’ (It’s like being on drugs, but without its own fashions), and I quickly found that Morty’s reputation as the best wings place on earth was well-earned. I think they put a bit of vinegar in the sauce, so it stings… but in a good way. Also, they used drugged up chickens with wings that look they came off a turkey.
- Poutine: The Truck with no sign near Luskville, PQ I found this place on a drive back from Ottawa to the cottage a few years ago and I actually stopped eating poutine anywhere else for a while. This stuff was so good, that everything else just paled in comparison.
- Donuts: The Pontiac Bakery in Shawville, PQ Can I get an ‘amen’? I would crawl naked over broken glass every morning if it meant starting my day with a fresh donut from here.
- Veal: The Black Tomato in Ottawa, ON This place has spectacular food, but it doesn’t come cheap. It’s a classy joint with a list of single malt scotches longer than my arm and an in-house music store. It’s in the Market. For those of you upset with me for eating veal, don’t worry… I’m sure it wasn’t slaughtered… it probably just died of lonliness.
- Burgers: The only restaurant on the main drag in Madoc, ON I’ve been there dozens of times, but I STILL don’t know what it’s called. They do something with the onions… something magical. I think they specially prepare the ground beef too. It’s really loose when you bite into it, but it holds its form. Oh… and the spices. Mmmm. A close second is a place in Perth, ON but that one is just for me. I’ve got to keep a few secret gems, don’t I?
- Tuna Sandwich: Tequila Bookworm on Queen West here in TO I’ve mentioned this in here recently, so I won’t belabour it. It’s the mustard. That’s what it comes down to, really.
- ds… any McDonalds Salt… glorious salt. Honourable mention to Utopia on College West. Their fries are thick cut, but are as crispy as potato chips, and taste the same. (get the wasabi mayo on the side)
- Fish: This place near The Arbour in Port Dover, ON It’s literally ON Lake Erie (well, on the beach), and it’s far from fancy, but this little place makes KILLER fish. You will have to eat outside, and you WILL have to fight the gulls to keep your food, but it’s worth it.
- Coffee: Any convenience store in New York City I know… it’s hard to believe, but it’s the best coffee I’ve ever had. I don’t know how they do it, but the beans taste like they were slow roasted on a sunny beach somewhere in the tropics. Mmmm. It’s so good, I even got past the clerk putting my coffee cup into a bag for me to take away. Seriously. It happened everytime.
I’ll stop there and let everyone catch up. Maybe I’ll give it some more thought over the weekend and add to the list.